Yükleniyor...

Kafkasör Festival of Culture and Art

   The mostly interesting part of the festival organized traditionally in during the first week of the July of every year is bull fights. The bulls from the different parts of the city have been categorized according to the thickness of their necks and matched with each other to fight. In order not to hurt the bulls, some certain rules have been implemented since the inception of the bullfighting. During the fighting, if the bulls deemed weak withdraw from the arena, they are regarded as defeated and taken away from the special part of the arena by the persons concerned. Therefore, Caucasuser Bullfighting becomes a sport and festive event within its own rules. This bullfighting, which is performed in the sole “Bullfighting Arena” in Turkey and resume the social and cultural structure of the Artvin district, is unique in the world.

Salihbey Mosque
   Çayağzı Mosque is located in Çayağzı (Korzul) ward in the provincial centre of Artvin province. As it was built by Salih Bey, one of the flag officers of Livane (Artvin), in 1792 AD (1207 according to Muslim Calendar) according to its epigraph, it was named after him and it is also called Salihbey Mosque. It was renovated in 1980’s by Mosque Building Society and it is still used today as a mosque. A recently built narthex was added later. The Mosque, which is located on Öğretmen Okulu Street, was built over the basement and has the recently built narthex on the northern side, a minaret on the north-western corner, a historical fountain on the north-western side,  a recently built, two storey Quran Course Center on the western side and another fountain on the eastern side. Its design is approximately square-shaped and the exterior of the mosque is plain. One can easily understand that the mosque has a historical value upon seeing its exterior. However, the interior of the mosque has undergone a change to a great extent despite the efforts to preserve the original form of the mosque.
Balcıoğlu Mosque
   According to archives, Hasan Ağa had the Mosque built in place of the old mosque in 1921 (1340 according to Muslim calendar). Still open to worship, the construction was renovated in 1994-1995 by Regional Directorate of Foundations. Situated in Balcıoğlu district, the Mosque is surrounded by a Quran Course Center on the north-western corner; a fountain on the east; a hazire, with its tombs of various Ottoman royal family members on the west. Square shaped main space consists of a minaret on the north-west and an open narthex placed on four wooden beams. The construction is quite simple in terms of decoration. Today, it seems as if it was newly-built except for its stone minaret and mihrab, a niche showing the direction of qibla (direction of Mecca).
Tbeti Monastery
   The monastery which is located in Şavşat/Artvin has not got an epigraph. According to the written sources, it was built by Prince Ashud Koh of the Bagrat Kingdom between 899-914 A.D. The structure which was converted to mosque with the Islamic conquest of the region was damaged severely by a stroke of lightning in 1889 and it became unusable with the collapse of its dome in 1953. Today, the whole roof and more than half of the body walls are destroyed.
İskender Paşa Mosque
   They are located in the town Ardanuç, in the proximity of Adakale. The initial construction of the mosque began in the St. Osman era and it was restored and again available for worship. Beside the mosque, there are the tombs of Hatice Hanım, Ali Pasha and Süleyman Pasha. Being important as the first mosque in the area, it has survived today.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |