Yükleniyor...

Balcıoğlu Mosque

   According to archives, Hasan Ağa had the Mosque built in place of the old mosque in 1921 (1340 according to Muslim calendar). Still open to worship, the construction was renovated in 1994-1995 by Regional Directorate of Foundations. Situated in Balcıoğlu district, the Mosque is surrounded by a Quran Course Center on the north-western corner; a fountain on the east; a hazire, with its tombs of various Ottoman royal family members on the west. Square shaped main space consists of a minaret on the north-west and an open narthex placed on four wooden beams. The construction is quite simple in terms of decoration. Today, it seems as if it was newly-built except for its stone minaret and mihrab, a niche showing the direction of qibla (direction of Mecca).

Kafkasör Festival of Culture and Art
   The mostly interesting part of the festival organized traditionally in during the first week of the July of every year is bull fights. The bulls from the different parts of the city have been categorized according to the thickness of their necks and matched with each other to fight. In order not to hurt the bulls, some certain rules have been implemented since the inception of the bullfighting. During the fighting, if the bulls deemed weak withdraw from the arena, they are regarded as defeated and taken away from the special part of the arena by the persons concerned. Therefore, Caucasuser Bullfighting becomes a sport and festive event within its own rules. This bullfighting, which is performed in the sole “Bullfighting Arena” in Turkey and resume the social and cultural structure of the Artvin district, is unique in the world.
Dolishane Church
   According to the epigraph in the Church situated in Hamamlı Village, Artvin, the Monastery was built by architect Gabriel by order of Sumbath who the King of Bagratuni in 954-958. The construction, which had been used as a monastery until the 14th century, was transformed into a mosque. Being used as a mosque until 1990’s, it doesn’t serve a purpose now. The fact that it was transformed into a mosque assured it to be preserved rather well in comparison with other churches.
Artvin Çarşı Mosque
   Islamisation period of Artvin started in 16th Century with the Ottoman Conquest. Although some churches and monasteries were transformed into mosque at first, construction period of new mosques according to traditional mosque architecture has begun since 18th century. Çarşı (Centre) Mosque was constructed by Artvin People between 1860 and 1861 (hijri 1277/1278). The mosque was re-constructed in 1954 because of deterioration.
Porta (Pırnallı) Church
   It is located at the Bağlık place of Pırnallı village within Artvin central town. It was constructed between 896-918 years by the Prince Khaouli, descendant of I. Aşot the King. It has taken its last shape during the reign of Gurgen the King  (918-941). The structure includes a belfry, chapel and fountain. Considering the settlement plan of the monastery, it is understood that Tao Klarjheti district was the most important cultural and religious centre of that period.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |
Online : Today :
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 18874376 bytes) in /home/visitartvin/public_html/Connections/database.class.php on line 56